In this blog Dr Sarah Wadd sets out her plan for a new care home study, funded by the National Institute for Health Research School for Social Care Research, which will explore issues around alcohol use in care homes.
The questions they want to answer are:-
- What practices, rules and policies currently exist in relation to alcohol use in care homes?
- How and why do practices, rules and policies vary between care homes?
- What problems arise in practice in relation to alcohol use and why do they occur?
- What are residents’, staff and family members’ perceptions, values and priorities in relation to alcohol use in care homes?
- How and why do perceptions, value and priorities differ between individuals and groups?
- What does good practice look like in relation to alcohol use in care homes?
To answer these questions, they will carry out an intensive study of 12 care homes…. read in full at…. (something about this is uncomfortable – would you let researchers study and film your use of alcohol at home? I suppose you might – let us know….Residential Forum)